Profile image for rycginge

Ha ha! According to the BBC, the new Costa on Whiteladies Road, Clifton, Bristol, did not have planning permission to open!

By rycginge at 16:52 on 01/11/11

Re-post           

• Profile image for paulfl1954

Well, it may only be a small setback for the developer since doubtless he will apply restrospectively, but it would be nice to think that the onward march of the corporate franchises might, at least, be slowed down. As a former planning councillor in the Midlands, I believe there is a proper and valid planning objection available to the Council - that there is marked over-provision of coffee/drinking/eating premises on Whiteladies Road, and over-provision inevitably undermines the economic viability of smaller, independent operators who form an integral part of the street-scene. The individual, distinctive character of Whiteladies will be irreparably damaged if corporate logos and premises continue to proliferate. And yes, I did frequent the late lamented newsagents business on that corner!

Paulfl

By paulfl1954 at 10:17 on 04/11/11

• Profile image for rycginge

Well said, Paul. I certainly wouldn't like Whiteladies Road to turn into a typical identikit high street.

By rycginge at 18:19 on 06/11/11

Join the Discussion

max 4000 characters

Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min rent is bigger than Max rent